- Involve people at the earliest stage possible. When your collaborators have ownership of the ideas behind the work, they're not "helping you", they're working with you.
- Single people out for their talents. Let them know you want them in particular because you think they would be the best at whatever you'd like them to do.
- Ask them to be involved in a project, not to help you with your project.
Honor people's contributions
- Show that you appreciate their effort however you can
- Honor their time and talents and don't waste it. Don't have everyone attend a meeting if they don't all have to be there.
- Make agendas for meetings and be efficient. Use email and online polls.
Make working together as easy and fun as possible
- Meet over meals
- Meet at a bar or restaurant
- Buying someone a beer can go a long way
- Meet at convenient times and places.
- Avoid arbitrary deadlines.
- Don't meet if you don't have to.
- Don't be too serious - avoid committees.
Always say thanks.